In accordance with Article 25.30 of the Twelfth Collective Agreement, new faculty members are entitled to their actual moving expenses up to the equivalent of one month's salary. Appropriate receipts must support claims for these allowances.
- It should be noted that a moving travel allowance is intended to assist a new staff member in the cost of physical removal of their family and personal effects from their place of domicile at the time of their appointment to the University.
Expenses in excess of allowance together with some other items may be eligible for Income Tax deduction. For information on this matter contact the Regional Taxation Office in Halifax.
- The allowances are based on the following expenses and must be supported by receipted bills and where appropriate bills of lading. The University will only settle such accounts directly with the faculty member.
- Transportation based on economy air, first class rail or tourist rate ocean passage for each member of the family and meals en route if not included in the fare, or private automobile or a mileage allowance of 60% of the then current Travel Allowance Rate, by the most direct route, plus lodging bills and meals en route for a reasonable number of driving days.
- Freight cartage on household furnishings and effects from place of domicile or a U-Haul or other self service trailer or van used as an alternative to a moving company for moving household furnishings and effects from place of domicile. If a U-Haul is used, expenses under (a) may also be claimed.
- Household appliance disconnection and reconnection bills – this includes washers, dryers and telephones.
It is not intended that the allowance should cover a variety of sundry items arising from the relocation. The following list, while not exhaustive, will indicate the type of non-allowable items of expense:
- house-hunting, including the cost of telephone calls, trips, commissions on the sale or purchase of property, legal fees, losses on the sale of assets.
- rentals or temporary accommodations other than lodgings en route, as outlined in (2) above
- storage of assets, including furniture and household effects
- babysitting services
- payment for labour of self or members of family engaged in moving or assisting with same
- duty on articles brought into Canada
- television expenses of any kind
A faculty member who terminates a first term appointment before the expiry of such appointment shall be required to repay to the Board, on a pro-rata basis, any moving and travel allowance received.
A moving allowance is intended to assist a new staff member defray the cost of physical removal of family and personal effects from the place of domicile at the time of the appointment to the University. It is not intended to cover a variety of sundry items arising from the relocation.
The conditions upon which a moving and travel allowance is granted are determined by the Board and at its discretion may be changed from time to time. Applications from new appointees for such an allowance shall be dealt with under the terms of the appropriate University administrative procedure in effect at the time of appointment.
Claims for these allowances must be supported by appropriate receipts.
Refer to the most recent AUPAT Terms of Employment to determine eligibility for an allowance.